Monday, June 17, 2013

Stop and Think

Please let me take you out of the darkness and into the light Lullaby by Nickelback
Those people. You know, the ones you look down on because they do drugs. They drink. They fuck anyone who comes to them.
Those people. You know, the ones you look down on because they don't talk. They're not social. They look fearful of everything.
Those people. You know, the ones you look down on because they don't trust anyone. That you can't trust. That are granted no trust.
Those people. You know, the ones you look down on for their actions. Their scars. Their deaths.
They may not have made the best decisions. But look into their pasts' and most likely you'll find a world of hurt, a reason they have for making horrible decisions. Betrayal, denial, hurt. You're there, laughing about how you're going to commit suicide because you're having a bad hair day, how you saw this team get raped by this other team at the stadium, how gay you're new mansion is. You dis them, ignore them, bully them.
Stop. There. Get to know them, if you can. If they're able to trust you enough to let you peel off the mask they've worn for so long, you're lucky as all hell. And you better believe them, no matter how horrifying it may seem. Don't betray them, like all the rest. Don't deny them, like all the rest. Don't hurt them. Like all the rest. Be different, unique, and help them in any way you can. This may not mean tell an adult, get them into therapy. It may mean be a good friend. It may be to smile at them sadly, listen quietly as they tell you their story. As they vent.

Stop. There. Don't joke about suicide. Rape. Cutting. Some people have been through this. These are trauma triggers. Don't use gay in a derogatory tone. Some people are gay. Some gays are happy. Some get shit from peers. Some get disowned. Some get killed. Don't complain because you don't have the newest iPhone. Because some of us are struggling to get by. You have a roof over your head. You have food and water. And usable oxygen. 
Stop. There. Think before you speak. Before you act. You have a brain, use it while you can. Use it all you can. Because some people can't. Don't use retard. It means slow. They may not think the same as you, but that doesn't make them "slow" or "stupid". They're best friends who may not have friends. They may not comprehend what you're saying, at least not externally, but I sure as hell do, and I don't think this makes you cool. 

Think before you speak. Be decent. Don't look down on anyone. Instead, understand them. Help them if you can. Realize that you have it better than a lot of people. 
My paternal grandmother once put out a cigarette on my arm. This is the best memory I have of her. I have not made horrible decisions, I have used this to make me stronger. But it haunts me. And yet, I'm not complaining. I have a roof over my head (for the moment), food in my mouth, clean water and air, use of all my limbs and organs. I'm healthy. I'm getting an education. I have it so great right now, even if I do complain and not always admit it to myself. Even if I do cry for no apparent reason. Even if I do get moody as all hell. 

I have people who love me. I have a family, where all abuse has been cut out, where mental disabilities are being well handled. I have necessities. I have a few close friends, a few not-so-close friends, and an amazing girlfriend. A lot of my friends are people whose lives haven't been the best. Whose lives still aren't the best. I may not be social. I may not have a prada bag. I may not even have a home, come June 11th, but I am thankful for what I do have. And while I may wish for more, I know there are people out there who would die to have my life. Ironic wording.

I even have a computer. My life is amazing.

So please, to you human beings out there who don't think before opening your mouth or acting, for those who judge without knowing anything about people, stop. I beg of you. There is always something. A reason. 

No comments:

Post a Comment